Pendleton On Wheels (POW) is an enthusiastic group of people sharing the fun, building friendships and inspiring each other through cycling.
Motto: “Nobody gets hurt and nobody gets left behind.”
History: POW was officially founded March 15, 2005, two years after the Century Ride of the Century (CROC) was started. POW is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization to advocate for bicycle recreation and safety. POW gives back to the community by donating grants to youth-based organizations, sponsoring bicycle rodeos, bicycle renovation projects, and bicycle maintenance clinics.
Mission: To promote the sport of bicycling.
Grants: In 2014, POW gave out a total of $2,500 in grant money to 5 youth-based organizations in the city of Pendleton. In 2015, POW gave out a total of $3,000 to 6 youth-based organizations. So far in 2016, POW has given out a total of $5240 to 11 youth-based organizations. The money raised for these grants came from the Century Ride of the Century (CROC) bike ride that POW organizes and hosts every Memorial Day weekend. For more information on the CROC ride, visit www.cyclependleton.com.
If your youth-based organization is in need of funding and meets the following criteria, fill out the grant application (link below) and either email it to Christine Guenther: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Storm Webb, 414 NW 12th Street, Pendleton, OR 97801.
Criteria for POW Grant:
• Organization must be youth-based.
• Youth-based organization must be a group, not an individual person.
• The funds are first-come, first-serve.
• Up to $500 may be requested.
• Applicant can only apply for one grant in the calendar year.
• Application must be submitted at least 6 weeks before the event.
• POW would appreciate any pictures of the event or project to show how the money was used. These pictures may be used for publication in news releases and/or publications on behalf of POW.
• Applicant will provide a brief summary to POW of how the funds were used within 3 months of completion of the event or project.
2017 POW Board of Directors
President: Christine Guenther
Secretary: Stewart Wuest
Treasurer: Storm Webb
Director-at-Large: Jeff Guenther
Director-at-Large: Shelley Atkinson
Director-at-Large: Herb Bitting
Director-at-Large: Sue Petersen
Director-at-Large: Pat Gregg
Director-at-Large: Chuck Wood
Director-at-Large: Pete Wells – Ride scheduler
SMART Reading Program 2016
Children’s Museum 2015
Pendleton High School Honors Biology Class Field Trip 2016
Pendleton High School FCCLA Culinary Team 2015
Japanese Sister City Student Exchange Program 2015
Pendleton Elementary School Track and Field Day 2015